Friday, February 5, 2010

Nice New Song, Newsom

I can hear your cooing from the grave, Marika, especially since you (as well as I, and many, many of us) are rejoicing with the news of Joanna Newsom's triple LP Have One On Me coming out on February 23rd. For any of you who do any internet shopping, or are obsessed with this woman as much as I am, you can pre-order the album on Drag City.

Drag City also has two new tracks up for listening: One is the soulful "Good Intentions Paving Company," a rollicking piano number, which I find to be a pleasant new sound and direction coming from Newsom. What I like about this track is that it doesn't feel over-produced, there's still a rawness to it, but within it Newsom seems to promise us that she wants to expand her sound even more, painting a fresh coat of twangy, Americana to her ever-expansive canvas. I think I hear some echos of Joni Mitchell here. But go listen for yourself.
A song called “'81”was up the other week, adding to her collection of beautiful pastorals, fitting right in as a more polished Milk-Eyed Mender-era song.

I have a feeling that we'll see Newsom shooting in lots of different directions here, and it already seems like it will be a wonderful thing for her. From these two tracks alone, she stays true to her past while forging ahead with new experiments. Not to mention that both songs, especially “Good Intentions Paving Company,” showcase new facets of Newsom’s singular voice.

It's been 4 years, and I am so ready Joanna. Did I mention triple LP!!!

No comments: